Saturday, March 30, 2019

The People Connection (Curing the Post-graduation Blues Part 2)

Leaving North Dakota and going back to South Dakota was extremely difficult.  This was the place I had spent the darkest days of my life.  I wasn't interested in crawling back into a lightless tunnel of woe, pain, and disgust, but economics lead me to the doorstep of my former roommate- in South Dakota.

I seemed to be okay at first.  For months I filled out online job applications for positions all over the country with confidence and hopefulness.  As the days dragged on and my physical pain began overtake me, my activities began to changed.  Actions, such as filling out applications morphed into sitting and staring- either because I was too out of it, due to lack of sleep, or I didn't want to move due to pronounced pain. Almost everyone I knew had left town and my world become smaller and smaller.

Enter the rabbits.  Not a day goes by now that I don't speak to someone in the rabbit community.  My partner from work offered friendship to me, and I communicate daily with people in my rabbit Facebook groups.  In general, advocacy people are really great people to befriend.  They are friendly and patient.  They are kind, yet brave.  They are self-sacrificing.  They are heroes, and great people to have in your life.

However, there are exceptions.   When I first came back to town, I attempted to join a local group that helps humans.  What I got was incompetence, arrogance, and rudeness.  Dropping them from my life opened up a door that lead to some really wonderful people.  Preparing to bring rabbits into my life certainly seems to be the gift that keeps on giving.  As I continue to live on a steady stream of contentment, various aspects of my life continue to change in a positive way.  Sometimes, even just thinking about that brings me close to tears.  So here's to the rabbits and the people who strive to protect them.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.