Monday, November 25, 2019

Sometimes Far, Sometimes Near

It's been months since I quit working for one of the rabbit rescues.  I knew the job was important. I knew I liked it.  But I never, ever figured that quitting the job would leave such a large hole in my life.  I have moped about it.  I have cried about it, and I think about going back...a lot.  The other job-writing for a newsletter- becomes active about every three months, so I spend a lot of time not involved with rabbits these days.  Most days, the rabbits seem so far away.

The other day, my job with the newsletter began and viewing the adoptable rabbits brought me all back.  I looked at one pic after another- their beautiful, gentle eyes...their fuzzy, little bodies...such beautiful creatures they are.

My roommate has put his foot down and has put the kibosh on any pet coming into the house, due to lack of space, and lack of money.  He is right about both, but the future is a different story.  I have put my  foot down and have demanded pets in our future apt.   So, that's the way it is. 

So, I asked people who have rabbits and are keeping them tucked away in the garage, or backyard...wherever they are that's not near the family...please...rethink what you are doing.  Embrace your rabbits, not as farm animals, but as members of the family.  Give them a chance.  They are not dogs, so don't expect them to be like dogs.  They are not cats, so don't expect them to be like cats.  They are rabbits.  Go from there.  Do your research...and remember..LOTS of time outside the enclosure...enclosures that have lots of space, not cramped cages.  Do your research.  And for goodness sake, be vigilant with cleaning that litter box.  Rabbits that smell reflect the way they are being taken care of , not them.  Keep the litter box clean and you should be fine about that.  Ask detailed questions about different aspects of their lives...even when it comes to the little box.  Embrace them.  Love them. Love them.  Love them.

As for me, I'm so close to asking for my job back, but my problem remains the same...lack of time.  Hopefully, after I conquer a few more milestones in having my own business, I will be able to go back...although I do leave the possibility that I will go back, much, much sooner.  All I know is that I miss it very, very much. 
------------

Sources:
1) Hudson, S., (2019, Spring/Summer) (newsletter article), Preparing to Adopt a Bunny: Addressing Human Needs and Responsibilities, Friends of Rabbits
2) Carlson, L., Lennon the Bunny, (blog channel)
*Note: If you visit YouTube clips on Lennon the Bunny, please be aware that according to Carlson, Lennon was raised somewhat differently than other bunnies and therefore, she seems to like stuff or tolerate things that other bunnies don't. Please keep this in mind when viewing Lennon's clips.